The story of this cake began 8 years ago,.... or was it just "2". Let me explain. Back in 2004, I went into labor with our oldest son, a week before his due date. Thinking of nothing but "GIVE ME AN EPIDURAL!", we (by that I really mean "ME") delivered a healthy baby on a beautiful Sunday afternoon. Shortly after, the nurse thanked me for giving them something to do that day, saying I was the only one in Labor and Delivery. Lucky me, I thought, until she said anyone close to giving birth on February 29th, came in to be induced a few days earlier. Then it hit me,... it's LEAP DAY! What,... no official birthday for 4 years?! Yeah,... we're going to have to do something about that : )
So with countless birthdays celebrated on random days in February, Michael finally gets a real birthday,... his "2nd", officially. Several years ago we told him this particular birthday he could do whatever he wanted, within reason of course. So although I didn't particularly think "hunting" was "within reason",... his father did, and quickly approved the theme. I have to admit, it was such a fun evening with some target practice and then dinner and smores around the bonfire. Might I add that no animals were harmed,... just my pride when I missed the bullseye. Heaven help me for what he's going to come up with on his next birthday, in 2016!
Okay, about the cake. Both layers are iced with 4 different colors to look like camouflage. This technique takes a lot of time, but I love the way it turns out. I sculpted a fondant "8" and buck antler to stand on the very top. I diluted a little brown icing color and painted the antlers to give it a realistic look. I also had to use some wires inside to support each point, since the fondant was simply too heavy to stay together on its own. Icing was piped to look like grass on top of both tiers. Then I placed a fondant "target" front and center. My favorite part of the cake is the sculpted fondant arrow going straight through the cake. I made it identical to his real one, enough so that when Michael saw it for the first time, he said "That's so cool that you shot my cake with my bow and arrow!". I painted the "razor" tips with edible silver. Around the base stood two fondant silhouettes of trophy bucks,... my son's one request. Crazy thing, I finished the cake, and then remembered the request just 30 minutes before Michael's arrival home from school. PANIC! I quickly rolled out some fondant and cut the images using an exacto knife. Completed it just in time to enjoy seeing the biggest, best smile on my little guys face. Happy 2nd, I mean 8th, Birthday Michael!
No comments:
Post a Comment